Thursday, February 2, 2012

Harry Potter, and the 1st Year PC Game

     What's up? I'm still on my adventure of generating information by inspirational motion, so if I can get a chance of writing, I'll try to post it right here, trying to be more constant on the importance of the blog and its first objectives. This time, I should be doing a little bit of a talk about how I started on getting into the world of Harry Potter. That may be not interesting enough, but as for me, it's useful to continue writing for practice. Because it's a practice of English and a blog that I can share my ideas.
     When the book became a movie, it was obvious that my family wanted to watch that movie, and also because it has some magic. In fact, I like it because of the magic, it was sort of a fantasy book in a hidden world inside a real world. But then I would obtain after the movie the books that were available. But when the time it was getting famous, there was a game on the PC that my parents bought to me. We were on a K-Mart store, I should guess, when I saw the CD of Harry Potter. I don't know if the case was a simple CD case or if that was inside one bigger.... Well the fact is that after we returned, we installed the game on the computer(it was Windows ME if I remember well...) and then started the game.
     OK, it was simple, but entertaining, because there were parts you can go inside the castle of Hogwarts, and then there was those collectible cards from famous people of the Wizarding World. The thing of the story of the game is that on start you get on your classes, and then you learn magic spells, and after that you need to explore the castle to test the spells. And also you gain points from well done tasks. After some classes you start to get the interesting parts. After then you visit Hagrid and you need to go through a weird jungle to get to his home. And then do another tasks, and other things. I really don't want to tell everything, not the point, but for some reason the things turned difficult to obtain after that....
     The real point, after the discovery of the Networking Collective Information, I came across with the game I bought last time, so I installed it again (this time it was Windows XP), but then there were things that I haven't done yet. But just then I came to the idea to find out how to clear the game. That's the time when I found there are some codes you can input to do awesome things. Because you were curious to know what, you tried some of them. One useful code made Harry jump higher and reach more places. Then there was another in which you can have the life bar recovered (by the way I think if you eat chocolate on the game, you can refill your life bar), and another I think you can make Harry to knockout himself, I don't know why..., and others that fill up beans, stars and house points.
     The most interesting one was the debug mode (oh my a debug mode!), heheheh, at that time I didn't know what debug stands for, but when I saw it I understood what things can do. You can do ANYTHING (or mostly anything), you can travel chapters, you can travel between different scenes and different places at one time. I think you can change the camera angle.... The screen has full of state of each action of the game, giving a look of what would happen one thing at a time. I like when traveling, the camera just travels in a certain way. You are for example on the main entrance of the castle, and then you go to some other place, let's say near Gryffindor common room, you appear there, but the camera stays from the last point, so the camera justs go trough the walls in order to reach Harry. Also when you can pass trough walls yourself and see the black space and what it seems to be the other places inside the castle.
     What I can conclude with that is when you go to inside the castle, one wall of it disappears in order to the camera to point well at Harry, imagine if it wasn't done, there could be a point in witch you can't see anything because of that wall. It was a common technique when working on 3D games. In fact, I may learn a lot from the game if I do more research on the debug mode, there are things that I haven't tried that may be very useful on working on plot and character movements and scenes and everything else. Even if the game can be 2D, there are things in the software that can be debugged. I think in most of the games there are has its debug mode, in witch maybe an unused thing is there somewhere.
     So, that may be my first experience on viewing a game from another perspective, even if I was followed by the instructions on how to input each code.